Monday, October 22, 2007

Memory Lane


Today's ride from Midway to Gray, TN was a blast from the past. I didn't realize when I signed up for the trip that the route through northeast TN would go through Limestone, my wife's hometown. I grew up in Montana, but met and married a local girl while in flight training at Moody Aviation in Elizabethton, TN. Today we cycled past the church where Jo and I were married (18 years, two months and 17 days ago!), the Italian restaurant where we ate dinner on our honeymoon, past our first apartment, and through the intersection where my first car, a 73 volkswagon bug was totaled.

A "small world" bonus for me was meeting up with more family. Another rider in our group's mother (Agnes) just happened to grow up in Limestone and knew some of Jo's family. When Agnes found out that her son was riding with someone who married a local girl, she got names connected the dots and got on the phone. What fun to ride into our SAG at David Crockett Park and have lunch with Aunt Mamie and Uncle Robie.

We beat the rain today. It was on our heels coming into Gray, but there's a good chance that we will be in it for the next couple of days. No complaining though.....East TN is in a drought in a bad way. Pray for our safety in these last days as we wrap things up this Friday. Tomorrow we cross into VA.


Picture. Mt. Bethel where Jo and I were married.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings Doug and Team,
Like always great Pics. Thank you for sharing your moments with us Doug. It is always great to see how far GOD has bought us. Thank you for sharing your past.
Terry and I are keeping you in the root of our prayers.
God Bless Pastor Fred and Terry!

Anonymous said...

Greeting Doug and Team
I missed you guys tonight. Love hearing what God is doing in your lives through this journey. WHAT A BLESSING!
Thank you for having the heart of God for the Guatemalan people.
Keeping you in our prayers....
Pastor fred and Terry (John 3:16)