Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Local Scoop

We were saved from about 42 miles of rough truck infested roads with no shoulders today thanks to the locals, our new friends at Faith Baptist Church in Artesia, NM. Last night they let us know our planned route down Highway 529 into Hobbs would take us through oil country with a lot of truck traffic. Although six miles longer, our alternate route, Highway 82 to 18 proved quieter with a great shoulder, always a welcome alternative.

You've got to love tailwinds. Our small ride group averaged 16 mph on our 87 mile ride today. I "broke away" from the others on a long straight stretch doing about 26 mph for a few miles... I think I could have gone on for an hour or more... but back to my group... good fun!

Tonight is our last night in New Mexico, tomorrow we cross into Central time zone. One hour closer to my lovely wife and two daughters!
Thanks so much for your prayers. We've been blessed with many safe miles so far. And please pray for the Kekchi of Guatemala, that funding would would be available and that hearts would be ready to hear the message of hope and life--God's Word--in audio form.
Pictures 1) Oil pump in Eddy county, NM. 2) Heeded warning at a rest stop.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good going on asking the locals. I'm jealous of your breakaway, for understandable reasons. I look forward to forming the breakaway with you again some time soon, maybe the next time I'm in Orlando. The ride into Texas should be a good one too. The sun has riz, the sun has set, and still you is in Texas yet! Ride on!

Anonymous said...

Hey Doug, I'm following you all the way and vicariously enjoying the ride. So, Tour de France next? :-)